Riyan Parag said that he will eliminate someone at the end of the non-forward.© BCCI
India’s Deepti Sharma knocked out England’s Charlie Dean at the non-forward end in a women’s ODI at Lord’s last month. Since then, there has been much debate about the nature of the dismissal. On Friday, Australian pacemaker Mitchell Starc warned England captain Jos Buttler not to back down too early during the third T20I in Canberra. Rajasthan Royals all-rounder Riyan Parag is the latest to join the debate. Taking to Twitter, Parag said he will knock someone out at the end of the non-striker, most likely during next year’s Indian Premier League season.
“I’m going to extradite someone (in the non-forwards) next year and that’s going to start a fun Twitter debate,” Parag tweeted.
I will be going to mankad/run out sm1 next year and there will be a fun twitter debate
— Riyan Paragg (@ParagRyan) October 15, 2022
The dismissal on the non-striker’s side was deemed unfair by several current and former cricketers, although Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC) has moved the dismissal from the unfair play section to the run out section.
Incidentally, during the T20 World Cup press conference, eight captains from the 16 participating teams were asked if they would agree to their bowlers being sent off.
However, none of the captains raised their hands.
Buttler, Parag’s teammate at the Rajasthan Royals, was sacked twice at the end of his career.
After the game against Australia, Buttler said he did not support the sacking.
“Nobody wants to see them in the game because they’re always such a conversation starter when it comes to bat-to-ball combat,” Buttler said.
Topics mentioned in this article